1963 RCA Victor Model 94A160MV


Introduction

    This RCA Victor New Vista 19" set was given to me by Mr. Patrick Quirk, who also happens to be my landlord. The set had spent a years time sitting on the front porch of a house on 118 N West St., in Stillwater, after being abandoned in a basement apartment in another house after a tenant moved out. The set had worked before, and that is why it was placed on the porch, instead of the trash.

The Chassis

       This little TV, which is the most compact of  all the RCA sets I have, uses a KCS147A chassis and a KRK-103L tuner chassis. The tuner uses a Nuvistor tube type 6CW4. A power transformer and half-wave voltage doubler make up the power supply. The chassis uses only 15 tubes.

      

Tube Line-up 

Tube Type Function
6CW4 RF Amplifier
6EA8 Mixer-Oscillator 
6BZ6 1st Video IF Amplifier
6GM6 2nd Video IF Amplifier
6EW6 3rd Video IF Amplifier
6HF8 Video Output-Sound IF
6HZ6 Audio Detector
6AQ5 Audio Output
6LC8 AGC Keying-Sync Seperator
6CG7 Horizontal AFC-Horizontal Oscillator
6EM7-GT Vertical Multivibrator-Vertical Output
6JB6 Horizontal Output
6AY3 Damper Diode
1B3-GT High-Voltage Rectifier
19AYP4 19" Silverama Picture Tube
2-silicon diodes LV Rectifier
crystal diode Video Detector

Getting it Going Again

   The first thing I did was disassemble the set and clean clean clean. A family of spiders had taken up residence in the cabinet along the bottom of the chassis. Overall, the whole process was straight forward, without any problems. The chassis has got to be the easiest to remove of any chassis I  have worked with. If a person was interested in getting into tube-type TV's this would be the best model for the beginner, because it is so easy to disassemble and assemble.

   After the extensive cleaning I repaired a bad ground, a broken B+ lead to the tuner, cleaned the tuner and all controls with tuner cleaner, and repaired a split in the insulation on the HV lead. I probed several critical points with a meter to check resistances of transformers and coils that could have been damaged. The tube sheilds across the top of the chassis were very rusty from water getting in through vent holes on the cabinet back. The capacitors on this set all looked very new, suggesting that someone had been keeping the set operational and in regular use. Almost all the capacitors are ceramic disk or orange drops. Even the electrolytic caps were good. So, I proceeded to power up.

Much to my surprise....

IT WORKED!!!!!

The set was made working again for the first time in who knows long on Sunday, Oct. 6th, 2002. I ran it continuously from about 2:30PM until about midnight waiting for some kind of trouble. But no, picture was steady, sensitivity good. I retouched the adjustments for centering ant the yoke, since during the cleaning phase I had removed the yoke to inspect and clean. Nearly 9-1/2 hours of continuous use without a trouble, and from various sources-off the air and tape, and it performed well

   I am glad to have been able to return this TV to service again. Much to my surprise is how little it involved. I figured I would have ended up having to replace the yoke or a deflection transformer, or an electrolytic. This success has given me an urge to finish some of my other sets, which I may have to do very soon!!

Photos will be posted soon

Back to the Television Page